Limnology Lab/Field Research Assistant
Internship Available Summer 2017 - Application Deadline March 10th
Real World Application of Environmental Sciences
The Lake Sunapee Protective Association, a non-profit environmental organization, is seeking motivated interns to fill the positions described below for the busy season this year. The LSPA, in cooperation with the N.H. Department of Environmental Services, has one of the most extensive water testing programs in New England, with its own laboratory at Colby-Sawyer College in New London, New Hampshire. The water quality programs now include the entire watershed. The LSPA also works to correct known environmental problems and prevent future ones by working with state and town governments, property owners, contractors, and concerned citizens. Data from the LSPA testing program is sent directly to the DES Volunteer Lake Assessment Program, where it is evaluated and used to make important decisions concerning the watersheds of more than 25 lakes in the area.
- Attendance at, or graduation from, an accredited college
- Good public relations and communication skills
- Good computer skills – word processing and spreadsheet at a minimum
- The approximate time requirements may range from 20 to 30 hours per week, but flexibility is a must!
Limnology Lab/Field Research Assistant Duties:
- Assist Laboratory Manager in the limnology lab analyzing water samples for pH, conductivity, turbidity, chlorophyll-a, total phosphorus, ANC, and E. coli
- Computer data analysis of water quality test results
- Collect water samples from in-lake and tributary sampling sites
- May p erform special projects such as analysis of dissolved oxygen levels or other water quality parameters, sampling and analysis of specific impacts
- Interest in learning through hands on experiences
- Some flexibility in days and hours worked
- Must be detail oriented!
- Some experience or course work in water resources or limnology preferred, but all interested, enthusiastic applicants will be considered.
- Physical ability to do moderately demanding field-work.
Applications are now being accepted!!
Deadline, March 10th (Deadline may be extended at lab manager’s discretion)
Send resume and a cover letter stating your interest in and qualifications for the internship to Ms. MacConnell (contact info below, e-mail preferred).
Teriko MacConnell, Lab Manager, Colby-Sawyer College/Lake Sunapee Protective Association
541 Main St. New London, N.H. 03257
Email: email@example.com Phone: 603-526-3486